Friday, October 24, 2008

First Amendment Frustration

I was about to post a blog concerning the election when I opened a mail-out from www.ivotevalues.com. (Which, by the way, is a wonderful website during these days.) In it I saw that not only can a church not endorse or oppose a candidate but neither can the pastor.

I have, therefore, not posted my most recent blog. I am, however, furious about it. I understand not getting in the pulpit and preaching about a candidate. I understand not passing out materials at church in support of a candidate. I do not agree with those ideas but I understand them. I believe the separation of church and state does not mean that the church must be void of opinion when it comes to the matters of the state. (The state is certainly not void of opinion in matters of the Church.) I think it is actually unconstitutional for people who do not desire religious opinion in their lives to dictate to those who do that they can not have it. The people I pastor have chosen for Fellowship Church to be a place for insight and influence in their life. They have chosen for me to be a voice they listen to. The church should have every right to respect that decision and to give guidance to its people.

The issue that I have addressed concerning the church is one matter, but the other is that I somehow am supposed to give up my voice. I have friends that are able to express thoughts concerning candidates no matter the accuracy of them. I am a man that has the right to freedom of speech and I have something to say. The truth is that I have studied economics, political science, American government, and American law while getting my bachelor degree. I have the ability to come with an informed decision but I am not allowed to voice my opinion because God has placed me in a position where certain people are listening.

That is the whole point. The reason I feel I must speak is that very truth. I have a responsibility to speak. There are those who say that one’s religion should not influence ones political views. I must entirely disagree. I believe that religion must affect one’s political opinions. If religion is a person’s highest set of values and beliefs, it must by its very nature, affect all that lies below it.

I appreciate your prayer as I learn more about this issue. I have sought legal advice as to what I can say where and how I can say it. I encourage each of you to find your voice in this election. America has much at stake. The foundational differences between these 2 candidates are important. The truth is the foundation of our nation is at stake in this election. We must have a president that has the same foundational beliefs that caused the foundation of America. Don’t listen to the rhetoric, research the reason. Don’t simply look at the policy, examine the principle behind it. America needs you to see the truth.

I will find my legal voice and I will speak. Will you?

No comments: