Monday, March 2, 2009

Getting Hungry

It is rare in life that I allow myself to truly get hungry. Some times I say I am starving, but it has never been true. The only times I go out without a meal is by choice for spiritual reasons or schedule reasons. (Or because I ate so much the last meal that I am not yet able to force any more food in my body.)

I wonder how much this is true in our spiritual lives. We are told by Jesus that “blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness.” Are we really hungry for God? Do we yearn with a spiritual need or do we simply sit among the spiritual want of life? We want God but do we hunger for him? Do we live needing him?

Often in the spiritual life we can confuse a craving with hunger. I challenge you to learn how to hunger for God. There is a book by John Piper called A Hunger for God. It is not a book I can truly vouch for because I have not finished it – but Piper is pretty much a safe bet. I am however being challenged by the thoughts in it.

Recently I have challenged our church to fast and pray. I must admit that neither fasting nor praying is a particular strength in my walk with the Lord. (Praying more than fasting.) I have considered fasting simply as the giving up for something to draw closer to God, but I never stopped and considered why that drew me closer to God. Fasting is more than simply doing without. It is more than simply making time. I am going to personalize the illustrations and thoughts of Piper in my own life to share this within this blog. I pray it helps you pray.
Wendy and I were engaged while I worked at summer camp and went to school in Ft. Worth. I literally asked her to marry me and then a week later left until we were married. I visited but was not in the same place as her very often. I recently found some of our letter correspondence during those days. The love letters were pretty strong. Why? I hungered for her. I did not simply desire her in my life; I hungered for her in my life. What happens to that? Sometimes when the extraordinary become a part of daily life we see it as ordinary. Recently God has really been working in me as a husband and some of what seemed ordinary has been renewed as extraordinary. (Because Wendy is extraordinary!)

We often seek God because we miss him. We have been away from him or we are in tough times. Those times are easy times to see and experience the hunger for God. But what about during the regular days and the good times of life? It is not so easy to hunger for God, when he is all around you. We do not hunger for God as we should when all is good at home, at church, and at work.

Fasting is seeking hunger. If you want to get hungry work all day in the hot sun or play all day in the ocean. (It is amazing how hungry I get on vacation every year.) Or walk into your favorite restaurant and watch someone else eat your favorite meal while you smell it but do not participate. That would make you hungry. Fasting is purposefully building a hunger for God in your life. A hungry stomach is not the goal. It is not the sacrifice as much as it the passion to be with God sought through sacrifice.

Piper says it this way, “The greatest enemy of hunger for God is not poison but apple pie. It is not the banquet of the wicked that dulls our appetite for heaven, but an endless nibbling at the table of the world…….The greatest adversary of love to God is not his enemies but his gifts. And the most deadly appetites are not the poison of evil, but for the simple pleasures of earth. For when these replace an appetite for God himself, the idolatry is scarcely recognizable, and almost incurable.”

WOAH! We have to build our hunger for God by not simply denying the evil in the world, but the good in it, too. Sometimes the enemy of what is best is that which is good. During this time of year the majority of our city is practicing Lent (or their church thinks they are). Lent is a time where people are challenged to give something up for over 40 days to seek God in their life. It is a great concept when practiced correctly.

But, what are you giving up? This year I pledge to eat no asparagus for 40 days? ME, TOO! Actually I will pledge that for next 400 if you want me to. No, fasting is about giving up something that you need and/or desire because you need and desire God more. It is to say to God, I will take you over food today. I will take you over caffeine this week. I will take you over my favorite tv show tonight. It is to tell God I want you MORE! I need you MORE!

Strangely when we seek God this way, we experience him more in our life and at the same time we hunger for him more in our life, too. We take more of him in, yet we feel unsatisfied. We have a greater longing for him, his work, his ways, and his will.

This week commit to give something up to grow in your relationship and hunger for God. Seek him not just to find him, but to desire to find him more…and more…and more.

No comments: