Friday, April 3, 2009

From Response to Results

Well, yesterday we learned that our responses are not controlled by the reports we hear. Our responses are up to us. As Moses was leading the people of Israel the majority always chose the least difficult path instead of God’s will. (This is actually a very common theme throughout the Bible about the people of God.) But there were a few men who chose God’s will, but they had to wait 40 years in the desert to lead the people of God to claim the promises of God.

The interesting thing about 40 years later is that the report had changed very little. The giants had not disappeared and the land was still plentiful. Once again the report showed some issues. They had to cross a river and not be defeated in the process – that was very difficult for armies before man made bridges. An army crossing a river is like sitting ducks. They had to attack a large city (Jericho) with tall walls and a capable army. The city was the kind that was completely impossible to defeat.

So, God had the people do some completely irrational things. He tried and tested their faith. He put out the challenge, “will you follow me?” The cool thing is – that behind the leadership of Joshua and Caleb – the people of God did. They did just as God commanded them. They walked across the river on dry land and then went to Jericho and marched around it and blew their horns for six days. Then they marched and the priests blew the trumpet and the people yelled. (I am not sure what you think but that sounds like a perfectly rational plan to make walls fall down to me.)

God did just what he said. The walls fell and Jericho was defeated. It is an amazing thing to see what happens when God’s people do what God says. God does great things when his people are willing to do great things. God does his will when we do his will. God could do it without us. God did not need them to march for 7 days or blow their trumpets or yell to bring the walls down. The people of God needed to do those things. God did his work in that manner, not because he needed it, but because his people needed it.

Take a walk with me around Jericho. Look at the huge fortifications and the strong military of the city. See that which could never be overcome by the band of warriors standing around you – at least not without God causing it. Look over at Joshua - a man - that has declared that no matter what happens he and his household will serve the Lord. Look around at the people standing around you armed with trumpets. What do you see?

I see something that makes no sense. Either Joshua has lost his mind in the desert or God is about to do something like I have never seen before. I have a response that is my decision. The report is that I am to march around the city and that I am to blow my horn. The last day I am to wait till the trumpets sound and the yell – yell – that is all.

I have a decision. Do I simply shuffle around the city in the masses because I was told to or do I march like I believe in what God is doing? Do I simply let out a small sound from my trumpet or do I blow the walls down all by myself? ? Do I mouth the words of a yell or do I let out a yell of conviction that starts deep in my gut and soul?

Sure there is apprehension in such a calling and such a task. The report is definitely got some things that are not in our favor, but who I am marching for…who am I trumpeting to… and who really will hear my yell? Is it just something I am doing before the city of Jericho and the people standing beside me? Or is it all for God? Is every step I take in the march a step of worshipful faith? Is every blow on my trumpet a joyful noise to the ears of the Almighty God? Is my yell a full volume praise of the Living God that is capable of doing exactly what he said?

When you face the calls and command of God, you will feel apprehension, but the decision you have is how you face it. At Fellowship Church we have some people that are facing some apprehension, but the cool thing for me to see is that they are still marching. A few shuffled at first, but the people of God are marching. Some have blown their trumpets with great gusto and some have let out a small sound of praise. But they are still marching.

Starting this Sunday as we change our Life Groups and as we have our last week of one service it is time for every one of us to decide what our response will be. I believe this. I believe that the trumpets will be blown loudly. And that the yell will be one of loud praise and belief in the Living God.

Why do I believe that? I believe that because every week when I preach I see the faces of God’s people. I see faces of people who believe in the greatness of God and want to see him change lives. Every life that is changed in our church is welcomed with shouts of joy, praise, and tears of faith. It is an amazing thing to see. I have learned this week exactly the magnitude of the change I am leading. Other pastors stand with mouths gaped wide open when I tell them about the response and the willingness of the people I have the privilege of pastoring.

Why? Because the people I pastor want to see a city conquered by Christ. They realize the promise land is better than the desert and that the work of God is greater than the work of man and they want it. They don’t just want to observe it, they want to be right in the middle of it. They don’t want to stand at the distance and listen to the trumpets, they want to blow one.

So I believe over the next month I am going to have the privilege of leading a band of river-crossing, trumpet-blaring, faith-marching, and praise-yelling warriors that are fully read to take Prairieville for Christ. And that fires me up. Thank you for such a privilege and get ready to roll because God is about to blow down the walls and change this city.

No comments: